Wednesday, April 04, 2007

My Birthday

So, I've been thinking a lot about my birthday recently. I'm not quite sure why. I've been trying to decide if I should ignore it as seems to be fitting for someone approaching 30, or throw myself a big birthday party.

You see, for the past few years, I have had this secret desire to have a party. Birthday, going away, just cause it's Friday, whatever. But, moving often, lack of space, lack of people to invite...those and other reasons have kept me from following through or even really mentioning it. I have a thing about disappointment, not to mention failure. And throwing a party, for me, is a big deal. It is not something that happens often, and because of the two issues mentioned above, something I want the guests to really enjoy (and have good memories). I've been to quite a few birthday parties since I've been here, which also makes me think more about having one.

For the first time in a long time, I know a lot people that would actually come to my party. None of my family or close friends would be there, but I have a relatively large network of friends, co-workers, associates and classmates that I would invite, a good portion of whom would actually come. I think I would throughly enjoy being the center of attention for one night, and I'm sure I could recruit a few people to help with the work. Alas, I do not have enough space, and would have to ask a friend for use of their apartment. Parties also cost money, which I could put towards something more important, like traveling around Asia. And I wonder if the night would feel a little bittersweet, without the folks that live thousands of miles away. I am approaching thirty, which might be the new twenty, but nevertheless a little old to be throwing yourself a birthday bash.

As you can tell, I haven't made up my mind. So, if you have an opinion, I'd love to read it.

And, if you are thinking of sending me a birthday present and are not quite sure what I like, here is a list of things that will fit into a 9x12 or smaller bubble mailer:
Lotion and/or body wash from Bath and Body Works (Sweet Pea, Cotton Blossom, Moonlight Path, Night Blooming Jasmine); A pair of size 4 (US) Long and Lean Jeans from the Gap (dark wash); Hand Sanitizer (gel, any brand); Great Grains (Raisins Dates and Pecans or Crunchy Pecan-take the bag of cereal out of the box and make a small hole to squeeze the air out, fold over and seal with tape); $1,000 USD or GBP (Hey, you never know); grease/hair oil/scalp conditioner (I have naturally curly hair, so something really light, I can't remember the name of what I had at home); Thera-Flu (lemon, nighttime or daytime); Boots Botanics Skin Softening Body Butter (available at Target in the US, and, obviously, Boots, in the UK); a card with handwritten words; pictures of you (and your spouse/children/fam/loved ones); lots of love - in a bubble mailer.

And after writing this list, I realized that I need to say a big THANK YOU, to TMW, MTM and my wonderful Grandmother for keeping me supplied with cereal, beans, tights, hair stuff, Ribena, Ovaltine Biscuits, Thera-Flu, a few other things, and, of course, HOT CHOCOLATE. You have no idea how much it meant to me, that you paid quite a lot of money to send large, heavy boxes with stuff for me. Thank you very much.

1 comment:

Between the Sky and the Sea said...

I printed out this entry and I've been carrying it around in my bag so I don't forget! Unfortunately, I'm not sure if I'll be able to get a package to you in time for your birthday. But I will be sending something in the mail. (By the way, any luck with the party?)