Monday, July 16, 2007

The Pace of Change

As I walk around this city, I am often struck by the contrasts that I see. Old and new. Rich and poor. Classic European and traditional Chinese. Cutting-edge technology and centuries old tradition. Sometimes these things appear to work out a harmonious dance, and other times it is all elbows and knees jutting out at weird angles. Perhaps the most striking to me, right now, is the contrast in housing. Many of the old housing is being torn down, even as people are living there, to make way for high-rise apartment buildings, malls, offices, and occasionally "updated" versions of the "traditional housing". In the future there will be more photos, in order to add visual context to many of the things that I write about. But for now, I just want to share what I saw today. No captions, hopefully the images speak for themselves.















No comments: